Friday, July 30, 2010

Lose the Mom Uniform - Part II {Find Something That Fits!}

So who took out their ponytail? I know several of you ran from me in the grocery store, target and school pickup for fear of me seeing your “mom ponytail.” I didn’t mean to scare you, well maybe I did a little. I just wanted to inspire you to become a more fabulous “you”.

So, we took out the ponytail in Lose the Mom Uniform, Part 1. Or, at the very least added adorable hair accessories to make your pony look effortlessly stylish. Check. Next up, let’s find something that fits!

Chant the following to yourself over and over until you believe it, “I don’t care what size I wear, I don’t care what size I wear, I don’t care what size I wear.” Now that doesn’t mean you should go eat an entire bag of Cheddar Cheese Ruffles (not that I’ve ever done that) and start wearing stretchy pants. What I want you to understand is that you need to find clothing that fits. Not clothing that you think SHOULD fit.

I see so many women that look larger, frumpier and saggier then they really are simply because their clothes don’t fit. If you can get it on, it doesn’t always mean it fits. I for example can snap a pair of jeans 2 sizes smaller then I actually wear. But I can’t breath and the muffin top that appears could feed a small country for a year.

So here is your assignment. I want you to put on an outfit that you wear but deep down know it is a little snug. Take a picture of yourself. Just stand in front of the mirror and snap your photo.

Now find an outfit that actually fits and take a photo. The waistband does not press in at any point nor does it fall down to your hips because it is too big. Find a shirt with a nice fit and some structure (Structure is Part 3 of this series). What I mean by structure is a shirt that creates your shape for you, not a fitted T-shirt that clings to your frame. Or one so big that it creates a mono-tent over your curves. Too tight does not make you smaller.  Just like too big doesn’t cover your flaws, it just makes you look even bigger.

Now, compare the two photos you just took. You should see a noticeable difference in your shape and size. When clothes actually fit, you look slimmer and more polished.  If you are really brave, you will send me the photos and let me post them on the blog for inspiration. Come on, don’t you want to inspire the 10’s of moms that read my blog?

If you didn’t have anything in your closet that fits, then you need to go shopping. This is wear you chat again “I don’t care what size I wear”. Take 2 or 3 sizes into the dressing room with you. Don’t look at the tag just try them on until something fits.

One last thing about finding clothing that fits. I’m not just talking about your pants and shirts. Don’t forget about your undies and bra too! We have all watched Oprah and have seen what a great fitting bra can do for you. It can takes pounds off your silhouette! So do me a favor and lift up your girls in support. I promise they will thank you.

Remember, nothing says mom uniform (or Jersey Shore want-a-be) like clothes that don’t fit. We all want to be a smaller size, but in the mean time dress for the body you have now and you will look amazing regardless of your size.





If you missed the first part in our series, Lose the Mom Uniform, go back and take a look. It isn't too late to join!

No comments: