Friday, February 6, 2009

Better Late Then Never. Great News on the CPSIA front!

Finally some good news!The CPSC put out a statement today giving us more guidance on the law specifically as it pertains to textiles/fabrics. This is a great step forward in providing relief for clothing designers.

As stated in the press release:

Manufacturers, importers, distributors, and retailers should also be aware that CPSC will:

Not impose penalties against anyone for making, importing, distributing, or selling


*a children’s product to the extent that it is made of certain natural materials, such as wood, cotton, wool, or certain metals and alloys which the Commission has recognized rarely, if ever, contain lead;

*an ordinary children’s book printed after 1985; or

*dyed or undyed textiles (not including leather, vinyl or PVC) and non-metallic thread and trim used in children’s apparel and other fabric products, such as baby blankets.

(The Commission generally will not prosecute someone for making, selling or distributing items in these categories even if it turns out that such an item actually contains more than 600 ppm lead.)


Here is the LINK to the entire press release.

O-kay, so what does this mean for us? Well, it means that if I were to make a dress that didn't have any snaps, buttons, zippers, etc. that I don't have to test it. Super great news! Except that I've already started to shut down this part of my business and pursue a new venture (stay tuned for that update by the way!). I so wish that they would've made this decision months ago before companies started closing their doors. But hopefully, it isn't too late.

I actually received a phone call from an aid in Senator Harry Reid's office tonight. I was impressed that they were taking note of how this law is effecting their constitutes. They actually read the article written by Glenn Cook in the Las Vegas Review Journal.

He asked what I thought about this new development. He also had questions about my thoughts on testing methods including using the XRF gun and testing at the component level. This tells me that they are listening. I felt like it was a productive conversation or at the very least I got to voice more of my concerns, thoughts and ideas. Which is all I want to do from the beginning.

I can't help but sit back and smile just a little tonight. We are far from the end of this, but I can't help but feel like we made a difference. All the emails, phone calls, product mailings, message boards, etc. made a difference. It is our own personal 2009 version of a sit in, email style. We yelled and they heard us. Let's just hope that they continue to listen and use wise judgement so that our children continue to be protected by this law, while well meaning business continue to not only survive but thrive.

Cheers everyone! For tonight, I'm kicking back and raising a glass of wine. Lord knows I need one!

No comments: