Monday, December 8, 2008

Don't Shoot the Messenger!

O-kay, I have to say that I have received many supportive emails regarding my business and how the CPSIA applies. However, I have also gotten a lot of nasty emails as well. Listen, I didn't make up the law. This isn't a conspiracy theory that I drummed up on my own. It is happening. The impact will be wide spread. Probably beyond what we are imagining even now.

So here is what I have to say. If you don't believe me, call! Here is the number:

CPSC Hotline: 1-800-638-2772 Ask to speak to someone about the CPSIA and how it will effect your business.

Call them and give whomever answers the phone your scenario. They will tell you how the new law applies to you.

In the meantime, let's try to get along. The point of writing about this on my blog was to bring together a community of designers, consumers, moms, etc. so that we could fight as one solid team. Not to spend time fighting amongst each other about whether you think the law will apply to you.

The hard facts are this. If you make ANYTHING that is intended for children ages 12 and under, you must have your product tested by a certified lab. The government is determining which labs will be used. This does not mean buying a lead testing stick at home depot. Once you have your product tested you must have the required lead tracking label attached. If your item does not have this label, you will not be able to legally sell it.

I feel like because I have taken the time to educate myself on the new law and wanted to share it with thousands of other people who it will effect, I'm the one put in front of the firing squad. Let's just try to all get along.

And in the mean time, everyone take a moment to click on this link and write your representative. Whether you are a designer or consumer, you can use this link. The letter is already written. You only need to fill in your name and address. The website will find your representative and email the letter to them.

http://capwiz.com/americanapparel/issues/alert/?alertid=12274476

O-kay, I promise to go have a glass of wine and relax. Tomorrow is a new day and I promise to have a better attitude. Until then, cheers!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Thank you for helping us all understand this legislation better. I don't understand the 800 number you provided. It goes to Bureau Veritas which is a testing company. (A company who will greatly benefit from this legislation.)

Who did you talk to when you called? I've e-mailed them and was given this response:

"You can send your sample in for a technical opinion letter of what should be required of your product, but I advise this can be quite costly.

Please read over the new law that came into effect Nov.12 for a better understanding of what products are effected and what is required:

This website includes EVERYTHING that has to do with the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA):
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
**The TIMETABLE is very informative (halfway down the page)"



So -- I got the impression it was up to me to educate myself and to only go to them once I knew specifically what I needed them to do for me.

Please let me know if your experience was different!

Molly O Designs said...

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I have edited the number and it will take you directly to the CPSC. Thanks Katherine!

Jen said...

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry people are "shooting the messenger" when you warn them.

I have ideas in mind to do something similar as you have, with your business - but havne't yet, of course :) It is quite a shock that all of this is happening now.

I checked out your shop site - very cute! i always wondered if such a business was possible - I love designing and sewing and would love to custom make clothing, but I was never sure if anyone would pay for the labor involved.

I hope all works out in the end for you and others.

Jen
www.davidanddaisy.com

Twinkling Tees said...

Please, please keep posting! I'm having such a hard time wading through all the information, opinions, he said/she said out there on this...